I was out all day looking at houses, and came back fairly late for us. Yes, the deal fell through. Yes, I’m all out of spoons on the house front. Now the only question is “to buy the first thing that’s not horrible, or not.” The idea of a forever home or anything more than 5 to 7 years is QUITE gone. Yeah, the house might surprise us. Anything is possible. But what we’re looking at now is JUST buying SOMETHING. Which is not the frame of mind I wanted to be in.
OTOH a) if we’re not fully moved by June it’s going to make Portugal impossible, and this is maybe the last time the whole family can go for 10 years or so. 10 years is a long time, and people die. In my parents’ generation most of the people I expect. Which means after this trip my ties to the place will thin even more, but also, I’ll miss one last glimpse at what it was. And I’ll miss having the kids along. I suspect this is the last trip they make to Portugal unless one or both of them marry a woman with an interest in the place, which is highly unlikely.
So, a house must be bought and soon. That none of the choices are ideal is I suppose our fault for not having continued looking while waiting for the short sale.
b) I’m so emotionally drained by the whole now you get it now you don’t short sale thing, that I don’t think I can emotionally bond with another house again for… possibly years.
A year and a half on the move takes it out of you, as many of you know. And I made the big mistake of emotionally moving into the short sale, because well… we were offering ASKING price, and it comped favorably to the neighborhood, and the last thing it occurred to us was that the owner’s second lien would come back and ask for 50k more. (To put this in perspective, a house six doors up that we tried to offer for but which had an offer hours old when we tried, sold for 10k less than we offered ON THE SHORT SALE and is pretty much comparable. So, no, it won’t appraise for 50k more. Crazier still, this is their second lien and the house is set to foreclose in less than a month. If that happens, the second lien gets NOTHING. While we were offering it a penny on the dollar. Not great, but better than what they’ll get. So, we thought… they were sane. Which they aren’t. Also we seem to have THE single most inept negotiator on this green Earth. As in, she doesn’t negotiate at all, just transmit the bank’s demands. Ah well. The sellers picked her, not our agent, who is quite as upset as we are, if not more.)
So, here we are. And that’s about it. And I don’t feel like writing a blog post, as has been the case most of the week, sorry.
I have a post on tribalism baking, but no energy to deal with it. I did search to see if I’d said what I wanted to say before, but I haven’t. So. It will have to be written fresh.
And now I’m going to shower, down another cup of the magic potion known as Coffee, and settle down to write. I have a book to finish.