The State of the writer — I thought you needed an update, so you don’t get alarmed at late posts the next week — is frazzled, her nerves shot, and her time totally fried.
Sorry, I’m trying to finish a book and do final edits on another 2, while moving in what promises to be the first of two moves in three months.
Lest I sound insane(r), here how we got to this point in the plot.
Last January we rented this house and put our house in downtown colorado springs for sale. We don’t think houses sell very well while living in them, so we thought this was the best thing to do. In our naive estimation, we could have the house ready for sale by April/May, sell in June and be out of here by 7 or eight months of lease.
We packed the living space, unpacked about half the things, enough to allow me to work and settled in.
This is when the fates decided it was time to start the fun times. You see, my doctor had told me some tests were perfectly fine. Turns out that wasn’t… precisely the truth, which led to surgery and recovery, as the house was only half empty and nowhere near to go up for sale. By the time we finished emptying the house was June.
There wasn’t a lot of deferred maintenance, because the house was where our money went for 13 years, but there is always some in a Victorian. Mostly what we needed to do was paint, clean and refinish the floors (well, some of them. The living room was its own mess and we more or less left it like that.)
As soon as I could and earlier than I should, I enlisted the boys to help because at that point we had run out of reserves, from paying rent/mortgage the whole time. But Robert was working an almost full time job while waiting to hear from medschools and Marsh was taking summer classes so he can finish the degrees in another two years.
So, it was slow, and by the time the house went up was September. We did have an approved offer within a month, but we were already on the ragged edge of what we could afford. It closed just in time, in November.
The lease ran out in January, so we started exhaustive house search, but our needs are a little odd, what with two and maybe three offices, so we had no luck. We tried for a foreclosure but we underestimated what they’d take.
On new year’s day we put an offer on what was coincidentally a short sale. (Though not cheaper for that, which is stupid.) We went month by month on our lease and I settled in to finish books, as well as I could as my office is full of boxes and dismantled shelves, and I don’t work well in confusion.
In February our landlord decided he wants to sell the house we’re living in, and told us to be out by the end of March. Since at best the short sale would come through in May, and we have four cats which very few people allow in a rental, we were thrown into a panic.
But thank heavens we’ve found a place that fits us all and will take month by month. (Yes, it IS one of you. How did you know?)
So we’re right now in the middle of the first move. Due to shortness of time, we’re having professional packers, though I still need to do a lot of it. So for the last week I’ve worked in snatches of five to ten minutes, and usually answered comments here while in the car between the two houses.
Meanwhile short sale came back demanding more money, which the house won’t even appraise at. I’ve heard enough horror stories to be sure the bank is stringing us along and wants to foreclose.
So this last weekend we did a blitzkrieg house search. We found one we want and have put an offer on (fingers crossed, because we really loved it) and one we can live with, but would take a second look at before offering for, if the first one doesn’t work.
I still have my current work and my bedroom to pack.
This weekend was enlivened by Greebo who, freaked out with having strangers in the house (He was feral and still loves only me, and tolerates younger son) decided it was time to hide. We though he’d got out and spent three hideous hours searching for him. Then we realized we’d need to trap him, as movers are coming Wednesday.
We had now corralled him and put him in a carrier and are taking him and his companions to the vet to board.
We hope to be moved in and the essentials (like my office, the bedroom and the kitchen) unpacked enough by Friday. If the offers we have extant is accepted, we won’t even unpack anything else, as the move would be in May. And then I’ll hire someone to unpack us, because I MUST get settled and work.
On the work front Darkship Revenge WANTS to be finished, but I’m stuck because dragon isn’t trained enough for it. Also it freaks the packers out when I dictate about mass death. 😀
I really need about three days on it, so G-d willing next week.
I’m entering copyedits into Through Fire (as in from Copy editor. I REALLY wish Baen would do these electronic. It’s much faster.)
I’m editing, in car while looking at houses, Sword and Blood which has reverted. (Historical, vampires, Musketeers.)
As soon as work for Baen is delivered, I’ll enter the changes and bring S & B out, same with the British Empire trilogy, one a month, more or less.
The next in the vampire musketeers, Royal Blood, is almost finished, and I hope to bring it out in June or July. the last one, Eternal Blood, is only plotted, so maybe August or September, depending on the move dates/visit to Portugal (which I must do. It’s been 5 years) etc.
So if I’m occasionally late, forgive me. As you can tell life is complete and utter chaos right now. Even for a chaos dancer, it’s hard to keep my footing.
I know I never sent out stuff I owe subscribers, and I have a surprise for some of the older/most faithful supporters of this blog (not just money, but comments and encouragement) and that too will have to wait. All I can say is I am so sorry. I haven’t been able to stop long enough between crisis to catch my breath. Keep fingers crossed this stops soon. (2016 is making me miss 2015, except not on MY health or money front.)
Be patient with me. We’ll get ‘er done. Maybe someone/something wants me so busy I don’t think about politics. (There’s a hope.)
And now I go pack.